Thursday, May 13, 2010

The One Thing I Didn't Realize I'd Need...

"Me time," something all mothers joke/dramatically complain about not having, is something I apparently had a little of, because now it's REALLY gone.

My place to scream, or sing along really loud to music. A time to be irrational and hysterical.

I don't really do the emotional thing because I find it embarrassing. Most of my meltdowns happen in bed, and there's no talking. Michael will feel the mattress shaking with sobs and wrap his arms around me.
 
This morning I woke up late, so the typical morning routine was severely compressed. Driving in to work, which is a 30 minute commute, I did the following things:
  • Ate my breakfast
  • Fed my son breakfast (a healthy breakfast, she added, patting herself on the back...)
  • Fixed my hair
  • Put on my makeup (with my eyes on the road, yes my mascara is frightening)
  • Brushed my teeth
  • Gave my son a nebulizer treatment for his asthma
  • Picked a piece of apple peel out of my son's teeth
  • Handed Elliott a toothbrush so he could brush his teeth
  • Tracked the number of miles I had driven since the gas tank light came on.
  • Dropped Elliott off at preschool
  • Raced to work like a madwoman
  • Sauntered in with my sunglasses on, just before 8:30
 Today, on my drive home, I do not have to stop and pick up the child - he's already home. Obviously, I have to get gas. But I plan to take full advantage of the commute. I intend to do the following things as I drive home:
  • Drive slowly
  • Turn the music all the way up
  • Scream loudly / cry hysterically / possibly swear a little
  • Hyperventilate
  • Wear sunglasses so my fellow drivers can be blissfully unaware of the full extent of my insanity
Here's hoping my big crazy display of emotion will last me a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment